Blog Photo Backgrounds That Won't Break the Bank

15 March 2015




It's so easy to be a Debbie Downer about your own blog, especially when you compare it to the million-and-one more successful blogs. It's no surprise that one of the most common things that gets us bloggers down is our photos. Now not all of us can afford fancy DSLRs, but I can guarantee you can have beautiful blog photos with the help of a few items you may have lying around.




Magazines

One of the easiest blog backgrounds is a magazine. I can guarantee most of us will have one lurking around somewhere. Whether you use the front cover, like I've used in the photo above, or a pretty perfume ad, make sure you think before binning that mag!




White Paper

No you don't have to splash out on pricey IKEA dressing tables (word is that the gloss is a pain to photograph anyway!) when the answer is your humble A4. Make sure you use a few sheets to make the background completely opaque. This is a super affordable option to get that coveted clean background look a lot of bloggers rate.




Postcards

This is a tip I have hugely embraced as of late. I picked up a few postcards from Paperchase for under a pound each, and use them alongside a white background to add a bit of interest. I'm loving slogan ones (like the photo above) but there are so many to choose from!




Pretty Fabrics

I love to have something of interest layered over the corner of my photo backgrounds, as I think it looks way prettier than the plain white background. I'm a serious pattern fan in the wardrobe department so why not bring that to good use! In the photo above, I used a top I recently got from New Look, but I've used chiffon scarves and kaftans in the past. It's a way to make your blog photos  look interesting, and keep it individual to you.




Wrapping Paper

Another Paperchase wonder. There are so many pretty patterns available to funk up your photos, again for a really reasonable price. I managed to get some really cool styles, including a tea print, and one with my current obsession, pineapples!



Props

I was close to throwing away the Primark pearls I bought for fancy dress, until I had the bright idea to whack them in a photo! It adds a soft, sophisticated touch that I've used in quite a few photos. Another prop I love to use is a candle. Lighting it adds a soft glow, or use it like the image above to add a bit of colour. I like how this candle balances the brightness of the blush and lipsticks and ties the photo together.


It's easy to get down about your blog, so hopefully these tips will help you liven up your photography!

14 comments

  1. I love this post, really useful, I've been a bit unsure on my photos recently and not liking them so this has definitely inspired me to try something different.

    Emma x
    Writing Essays With Wine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, let's try something new. I'm going to use a magazine in my next post. xx Izzy | http://qthee.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, really happy my post has been helpful. Good luck with your photos!

    Loves! Kirstie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with your photos! I hope my post has inspired you!

    Loves! Kirstie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this. It's always good to know what pictures look good on what. Definitely will keep this in mind for my next post :).


    Kalee | www.voyageurkalee.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! I've been using magazines and scarves as backgrounds most often but someone once suggested that I try using gift wrapping paper as well. There are so many options out there!

    Out of curiosity, which camera do use for blog photography?

    x
    Aria
    Girl in a Whimsical Land

    ReplyDelete
  7. Paperchase really is the way forward. I love their postcards and I can't believe I didn't discover them sooner. Great post Kirstie xx


    www.kirstytalks.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks lovely! I agree, they are the best thing I've discovered this year! Great for an individual look :)

    Loves! Kirstie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks :) yes scarves are definitely a great shout, I have loads of patterned ones that I'd never wear now but they still manage to crop up in my photos! The hardest thing with gift wrap is keeping it crease-free :( I actually just use my iphone for my photos :)

    Loves! Kirstie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Kalee :) hopefully it will inspire you

    Loves! Kirstie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a fab post I always wonder what I can do to jazz up my pictures backgrounds! This has really helped! Thanks hun xxx

    Laura | Tease Flutter Pout

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks :) really happy it's helped! :)

    Loves! Kirstie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this post! I use background photos on occasion but I should be using it more often to give my blog a little more character. I never thought of using post card, GENIUS! Thanks for sharing <3


    xo Brigette from http://www.brigetteramos.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aww thank you honey :) I'm really happy it inspired you, I'll be putting Paperchase out of stock of their postcards at this rate! Haha

    Loves! Kirstie

    ReplyDelete

Start Here

Curated By KIrstie © . QUINN CREATIVES .