Battle of the Cleansing Balms: Emma Hardie Vs. The Body Shop

3 July 2015

Battle of the Cleansing Balms: Emma Hardie Vs. The Body Shop


An idea originating from the birthplace of modern skincare, Korea, cleansing balms seem to be a bit of a high end thing. One of the most talked about is the Emma Hardie Amazing Face Moringa Cleansing Balm, but if you don't want to shell out a small fortune to remove your makeup, where do you go? There's still only really one drugstore contender in the game, The Body Shop Sumptuous Cleansing Butter. It's a hellova lot cheaper, but how does it really compare?

Packaging

The Emma Hardie is packaged in a tough plastic tub. It feels a lot more luxe than TBS's metal tin, but the outer part of the lid has broken on my tub, so The Body Shop's offering wins this category.

Emma Hardie - 0
The Body Shop - 1


Battle of the Cleansing Balms: Emma Hardie Vs. The Body Shop


Texture

Honestly, when I first went from using the Camomile Silky Cleansing Oil to the balm, I was baffled. The texture is akin to coconut oil, meaning it is pretty solid at room temperature. I was confused as to whether I was to warm it between my palms or blob it on my skin. In time I realised option A worked best, but I still found it quite awkward. In comparison, the Emma Hardie is a silkier, more balmy consistency. It is much easier to apply to the skin, so it wins this fight.

Emma Hardie - 1
The Body Shop - 1

Effectiveness

I feel like both balms work in a similar way to dissolve makeup, and neither needs more effort, so I think it's safe to call it a draw here.

Emma Hardie - 2
The Body Shop - 2


Battle of the Cleansing Balms: Emma Hardie Vs. The Body Shop


Feel on the Skin

Cleansing balms have the power of oil on their side, making them the perfect options for drier skin. Even my oilier skin is left feeling super soft. In this race, the Emma Hardie is the clear winner, as my skin never feels as soft as when I use this.

Emma Hardie - 3
The Body Shop - 2

Scent

Scent drives my opinion of a product 99.9% of the time. Ain't nobody got time for unscented bumf. The Body Shop Camomile products have a subtle yet memorable floral scent, and now remind me of living in my Uni house and Greek Holidays. Because the scent is less heavy than the Emma Hardie, it is my pick for when I'm feeling a bit ill and can't stomach anything stronger. High-end products usually call for better quality ingredients, and Emma Hardie have in no way scrimped in the scent department. Neroli is one of my favourite essential oils so personally it knocks the socks off The Body Shop's balm. It just smells so luxurious and expensive (and rightly so).

Emma Hardie - 4
The Body Shop - 2


Battle of the Cleansing Balms: Emma Hardie Vs. The Body Shop


Price

The Body Shop prices its Camomile Sumptuous Cleansing Butter at £12 for 90ml. This works out at a bargain £13.33 per 100ml. To compare, the Emma Hardie balm is £38 for 100ml, so it's a no brainer. You can however currently get 3 x 50ml balms and 3 muslin cloths for the same price (here).

Emma Hardie - 4
The Body Shop - 3

Conclusion

As you can see, it has been a very close race but the Emma Hardie Amazing Face Moringa Cleansing Balm is hyped for a reason; it's bloody good. It just makes the evening cleanse feel like a facial every night, and is that little touch of luxury. You can also get the 50ml balm in a set with a muslin cloth and mini moisturiser for £21, which is great if you want to give it a try. I think that the overall experience is more enjoyable, and if you can afford it, it is well worth the extra pennies.

If you want the cleansing balm experience on a budget, The Body Shop Sumptuous Cleansing Butter is still a great option. It does a brilliant job of getting rid of every last scrap of makeup, and I love the scent. On a side note, after trying both The Body Shop Camomile Silky Cleansing Oil and the balm, I personally prefer the oil as it is easier to work with and I'd be most likely to repurchase it over its balm counterpart.

Which one is your favourite? 


Start Here

Curated By KIrstie © . QUINN CREATIVES .