AD | 5 Rituals for a Better Sleep: From Pampering To Luxury Duvet Covers

15 August 2016

5 Rituals for a Better Sleep

- Sponsored Content - 

Sleep for me is a bit of a funny subject. I've always been a bit of a light sleeper in the way that I do struggle to get to sleep. I'm such a night owl, so my brain is often buzzing with everything from the day before. I've wanted to share the things that I do to ensure I'm off to the land of nod for a long time, so what better time than the present? Now I'm not saying that these tips are anything hugely groundbreaking, nor will they necessarily work for you in terms of sending you off to sleep, but they do ensure that I can fully relax when I switch off for the day.


5 Rituals for a Better Sleep Lush Bath


Now this is something I am forever wishing I had the chance to do more of. As a self-confessed workaholic, combined with being a massive procrastinator, I often find that I am still finishing things off way later than I should. This means I don't fully relax, so I struggle to switch off. One of the only times I truly switch off is when I have a bath. I veto all technology, pop in a relaxing bath product (my favourites are the Lush Twilight Bath Bomb and the Aromatherapy Associates Bath Oils).

I have an awesome set up going on for bath time. I use this marble board (which also doubles up as a blog photo background) to hold a cup of tea (caffeine-free for night time, I usually go for peppermint, although some brands do some special sleep blends.) I often like to take a book into the bath, as its one of the only times I get the chance to read! I'm currently reading Lena Dunham's Not That Kind of Girl.


5 Rituals for a Better Sleep Skincare


After I emerge from the bath relaxed and sufficiently wrinkled, I douse myself in a luxurious body oil or cream. I love the Nuxe Huile Prodigieuse and the Body Shop Body Butters, but when I really want to send myself into a slumber, I love the Cowshed Knackered Cow Body Lotion as it is a luxurious blend of lavender and eucalyptus. Then I pop on a cosy bathrobe and start my skincare routine.

One of my all time favourite ways to treat my skin is to do a facial massage. Lisa Eldridge has a brilliant video on her routine, which I highly recommend you check out. I apply a generous amount of facial oil to my skin and spend time massaging my brow bone, jawline and cheekbones which become increasingly tight when I've spent too much time in front of the computer (all day e'ery day!).

My facial oil as of late is the PURE Regulate & Clear Face Oil*. I can't stop raving about this brand, and this one contains ylang ylang which is ridiculously relaxing and really puts me in a calm space before bed. Doing a facial massage gives my skin a boost of hydration and leaves my skin supple and particularly glowy the next day. I would highly recommend it for those with drier or mature skin types!


5 Rituals for a Better Sleep Candle


I love lighting a candle before bedtime to give a cosy feel to the room. I've been loving Yankee Candle Amber Moon and Fireside Treats. Although they are very different, both have a warm feel to them so I find them relaxing, even though they aren't the stereotypical calming fragrances like lavender. I find the small jar candles perfect for my bedside table.

I do tend to sit up on my tablet watching Netflix, which I know isn't the best thing, but it is one of the ways I like to relax as I find I'm concentrating on the programme rather than thinking about blog stuff. I'm currently watching Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, which is really light-hearted and the perfect thing to unwind to. One of the things I've found to be useful is installing a Blue Light Filter app, which changes the light so it doesn't overstimulate the brain.


5 Rituals for a Better Sleep Pillow Spray


When I feel my eyes are closing, I like to spritz my pillows with a relaxing linen mist. I love the M&S Ragdale Hall Spa Lavender Oil Pillow Mist as it is just as good as the ThisWorks offering but less than half the price! It has a soothing lavender scent that isn't overpowering and is just perfect to help you drift into a slumber. I find the ritual of spraying this makes me associate it with being sleepy.


5 Rituals for a Better Sleep Duvet Covers


The only thing to do now is snuggle up in your cosy bedding and close your eyes. I really find having luxurious bedding helps greatly with ensuring you have a brilliant nights sleep. Who doesn't want to feel like they're in a hotel bed every night? Choosing pure cotton options with high thread counts mean that you can stay nice and cool in the summer as the fabric is breathable, as well as it being a joy to feel on your skin. I've bought cheaper bedding in the past and the feeling just isn't the same. That's not to say that price is the be all and end all, I bought a duvet set from ebay for my uni room and it was incredibly soft to the touch!

Now having a super soft duvet cover that's the perfect tog rating is all well and good, but if it doesn't look the part it's no good! I would highly recommend checking out Primark for bedding if you want a really on-trend look. They always have some gorgeous styles that don't break the bank. My current duvet cover of choice is from there and although half of the blogosphere also has it, I do still love it! If you have a bit more of a budget, John Lewis is fab, stocking brands like Orla Kielly and Cath Kidston. 
I also recommend spending money on a good duvet and pillows, as they are the foundations of a luxurious feeling bed. I personally like both feather and man-made varieties, although I've been particularly impressed with the peach soft duvet, again from John Lewis. It's ultra soft and lightweight, even though it is on the cheaper end of their spectrum. The perfect duvet will mean you won't overheat in summer nor freeze in the winter, although everyone has different preferences.

When it gets cooler, I love snuggling up in cosy throws and blankets. I particularly love faux fur offerings! I've just discovered the luxury duvet covers on YorkshireLinen.com, whose range starts at £10! I've put together a selection of some of my favourite duvet covers as well as some throws, cushions and accessories. Particularly handy if you're heading off to university soon too!
5 Rituals for a Better Sleep Yorkshire Linen


What do you do to unwind at the end of the day? Please do share your tips! I've really enjoyed putting this list of tips together, and quite frankly, it's making me sleepy. Goodnight! xo


- This post is a sponsored collaboration -
- I have retained editorial control so all love of sudsy baths and cosy blankets is my own -

Post a Comment

Start Here

Curated By KIrstie © . QUINN CREATIVES .