The Scent Diaries #2: Sweater Weather

25 November 2016

scent diaries sweater weather


I've come to accept that every year, around this time, I always get one hell of a cold, and this year has been no different. I wasn't able to smell anything for a good few weeks which, as a fragrance blogger, is not a fun thing, and my sense of smell has only just started to come back! It is well and truly sweater weather now (which I'm loving because I've found the snuggliest Mickey Mouse sweater which I don't wanna take off), so I've dug out a few old fragrance favourites and dabbled in a bit of fragrance layering to make sure my scent suits the season. Here's a bit of a rundown of the perfumes and candles that I've been loving recently...


scent diaries molecule 01 jo malone wood sage sea salt


Jo Malone Wood Sage & Sea Salt + Escentric Molecules Molecule 01

I'd not really played around much with fragrance layering but had heard a lot about Molecule 01 (£27 for 30ml) for this purpose. The best way of doing this I've found is to spray one scent then another onto the wrist so you can properly mix the two scents together. Molecule 01 is made up of a single molecule, Iso E-Super, which has a woody vetiver scent (read more in this post), and here it makes Wood Sage & Sea Salt* (from £43 for 30ml) smell that little bit sexier. It's not drastically different but makes all the notes sing, and amplifies its woody base to give it a bit more depth for the cooler weather.


scent diaries viktor rolf flowerbomb


Viktor & Rolf Flowerbomb

This is a fragrance that I used to be obsessed with. I had at least 2 sample vials before purchasing, and I was desperate for it. This was at a time when I couldn't justify buying high-end fragrances myself, and this was one of the first that I well and truly needed. That Christmas, I was overjoyed to see it in my stocking! Once I owned Flowerbomb (£50 for 30ml), I very quickly fell out of love with it. It was my "night out" fragrance whilst at uni, so I came to associate it as the scent of cheap alcohol and regrets, and the fact that the smell of it in my hair on a hangover was not the one...

For the past few years, my half empty bottle of Flowerbomb has sat largely untouched. I decided to pull it back out recently, and see if my opinions on it had changed. I went for a single spritz on my wrists and oh my, I forgot just how strong this scent is. It is seriously long lasting, that one spray giving me a 7+ hour long stretch of Flowerbomb haze. Going back to the scent, I was able to appreciate the top notes, which are fresh and citrussy of bergamot and green tea, paired with a velvety drydown, making a sweet, warm floriental scent. I was surprised that I didn't totally hate it, although I wouldn't want to spray any more than one spritz as I find it can be quite sickly and heady.


scent diaries diptyque philosykos


Diptyque Philosykos

Autumn is the season in which I first discovered Diptyque Philosykos (£54 for 50ml), one of my all-time favourite scents, so of course I had to bring it out to play. I always adore it's juicy green fig scent, and the cooler weather seems to bring out more of the woody cedar base, rather than the creamy coconut which is better suited to the summer. Either way, this scent is perfect for year round wear, but it will forever remind me of Autumn! This is another scent which is gorgeous paired with Molecule 01 for a woodier hit.


scent diaries bath body works sweater weather


Bath & Body Works Sweater Weather

I'd heard a lot about both Bath & Body Works candles and more specifically, the Sweater Weather scent, so when I saw that The Bath & Body Shop had it in stock, I was quick to place an order. Sweater Weather is a really interesting scent, one that is in the same vein as Yankee Candle November Rain, which I used to love. It has notes of Sage, Juniper Berry, Eucalyptus, and Fresh Woods. It's a bit masculine, a bit minty and is like the crisp autumn mornings, bottled in a candle. I don't really have anything else in my wax collection like this, so I'm glad to add this to my stash! Also, whenever I see the name, I always think of Sweater Weather by The Neighborhood, such a good song!


Village Candle Spiced Pumpkin

I guess you have to burn pumpkin candles in autumn, right? I feel like the UK is finally starting to realise that, and we can finally get the pumpkin goodness in candle form without shipping from the US! I also ordered this Spiced Pumpkin votive (£1.99) from the Bath & Body Shop, after being really impressed with their scents (I featured Warm Apple Pie in my last Scent Diaries post). This scent is absolutely gorgeous, warm, sweet and cinnamony, and nice and strong for a votive!


Are there any candles or perfumes you've been loving recently? 

Don't forget to enter my M&J London Bavarian Winter candle giveaway here (ends 8/12/16)!

Post a Comment

Start Here

Curated By KIrstie © . QUINN CREATIVES .